The IISc, Bangalore and seven IITs conduct GATE 2020 on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE. GATE 2020 is an All-India examination administered and conducted in eight zones across the country. Candidates will be able to select only one of 24 GATE papers for examination. Various PSUs offer recruitment based on the GATE performance of the candidates. For M. Tech admissions, the GATE scorecard will be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of announcement of result. On the basis of the performance of the candidates in the examination, the score and rank will be decided in GATE 2020 result. Candidates will be able to apply for IITs through GATE COAP and for NITs through CCMT.
GATE 2020: Dates and Events
|GOAPS opens from||1st week of September 2019|
|Submission of Online Application closes on||4th week of September 2019|
|Enrollment process closes on||1st week of October 2019|
|Paper Change Request||3rd week of October 2019|
|Corrections request||4th week of October 2019|
|Change of Examination City||2nd week of November 2019|
|Exam Date||1st week of February 2020|
|Announcement of the Results||2nd week of March 2020|
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Architecture (Five years course).
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree holders of Four-year program in Science (B.S.).
- Four-year Integrated Master’s degree holders (Post B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology.
- Five-year Integrated Master’s degree holders or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology.
- Five-year integrated M.Sc. or Five-year integrated B.Sc./M.Sc. degree holders.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE/ MHRD as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech.
- Appearing candidates for above qualification can also apply.
For examination centers in India
|Category||On or before the last date||During the extended period|
|Female candidates||Rs 750||Rs 1250|
|SC/ ST / PwD category candidates||Rs 750||Rs 1250|
|All other candidates||Rs 1500||Rs 2000|
For examination centers outside India
|Category||On or before the last date||During the extended period|
|Adis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||USD 50||USD 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||USD 100||USD 120|
- Total Number of Questions in GATE 2020 will be 65
- The Duration of the exam will be 3 hours (180 minutes)
- Total Marks will be 100
- There will be two types of questions asked: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
- The question paper will be consisted of three sections except for AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH and MA
- For 1 mark MCQs, 1/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- For 2 mark MCQs, 2/3 mark will be deducted for every wrong response.
- Zero marks will be awarded for un attempted questions
- No negative marking will be done for Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions
|Section||Question No.||No. of Questions||Marks Per Question||Total Marks|
|General Aptitude||1 to 5||5||1||5|
|6 to 10||5||2||10|
|1 to 25||25||1||25|
|26 to 55||30||2||60|
|Questions Type||Marks||Negative Marking|
|Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)||1 mark||0.33|
|Numerical Answer Questions||1 mark||Nil|
- Bhimavaram, Bhubaneswar, Bilaspur (CG), Balasore, Berhampur (Odisha), Bhilai, Kakinada (Surampalem), Kharagpur, Kolkata, Cuttack, Eluru, Hooghly, Jamshedpur, Sambalpur, Tadepalligudem, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram, Raipur, Rajamahendravaram (Rajahmundry), Ranchi, Rourkela
- Jodhpur, Karnal, Kota, Mathura, Bikaner, Faridabad, Greater Noida, Gurugram, Ajmer, Alwar, Bahadurgarh-Rohtak, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, New Delhi, Palwal, Samba, Sikar, Udaipur, Ujjain
- Belagavi (Belgaum), Bengaluru, Bidar, Payyanur, Port Blair, Shivamogga (Shimoga), Davanagere, Hassan, Ananthapuramu, Angamaly, Bagalkot, Ballari (Bellary), Kannur, Kasaragod, Kolar, Kozhikode, Kurnool, Malappuram, Hubballi (Hubli), Hyderabad, Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Mangaluru, Manipal, Mysuru (Mysore), Palakkad, Thrissur, Tumakuru, Vatakara
- Burdwan, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Agartala, Asansol-Durgapur, Jorhat, Kalyani, Muzaffarpur, Patna, Shillong, Silchar, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Itanagar, Siliguri,Tezpur
- Gwalior, Jabalpur, Bareilly, Bhopal, Gorakhpur, Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi
- Bapatla, Chengannur, Chennai, Chittoor, Alappuzha, Aluva, Attingal, Ernakulam, Erode-Thiruchengode, Gudur, Guntur, Coimbatore, Cuddalore, Dindigul, Karimnagar, Karur, Khammam, Kollam, Kothamangalam, Idukki, Kadapa, Kanjirapally,Kanyakumari-Nagercoil, Namakkal, Nedumangad, Nellore, Ongole, Kottayam, Madurai, Muvattupuzha, Nalgonda, Salem, Thanjavur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thiruvannamalai, Pala, Puducherry (Pondicherry), Punalur, Vellore, Villupuram, Virudhunagar, Warangal, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati, Tuticorin
- Anand, Aurangabad, Baramati, Surat, Thane, Vadodara, Bhavnagar, Bhuj, Ahmedabad, Ahmednagar, Amravati, Gandhinagar, Goa, Jalgaon, Kankavli, Kolhapur, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Rajkot, Ratnagiri, Mehsana, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Sangli, Satara, Solapur
- Shimla-Solan, Sonepat, Bathinda, Bhimtal, Dehradun, Ghaziabad, Ambala, Amritsar, Baddi (HP), Khanna, Kurukshetra, Ludhiana, Meerut, Mohali, Haldwani, Hamirpur (HP), Jalandhar, Pathankot, Patiala, Roorkee, Sangrur, Moradabad, Muzaffarnagar, Noida, Panipat, Una, Yamunanagar
International GATE, IIT Madras
- Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Dubai (UAE), Kathmandu (Nepal), Singapore
GATE 2020 Papers
|Architecture and Planning||Mathematics||Electrical Engineering|
|Aerospace Engineering||Metallurgical Engineering||Ecology and Evolution|
|Agricultural Engineering||Engineering Sciences||Geology and Geophysics|
|Chemical Engineering||Life Sciences||Textile Engineering and Fiber Science|
|Civil Engineering||Instrumentation Engineering||Production and Industrial Engineering|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||Mining Engineering||Petroleum Engineering|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||Mechanical Engineering||Statistics|
XE Paper Sections
|Engineering Mathematics (Compulsory)||Thermodynamics|
|Fluid Mechanics||Polymer Science and Engineering|
|Materials Science||Food Technology|
|Solid Mechanics||Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences|
XL Paper Sections
Cutoff (Previous Year)
|Production Engineering (PI)||32.0||28.8||21.3|
|Mechanical Engineering (ME)||34.7||31.2||23.1|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||26.90||24.20||17.9|
|Electrical Engineering (EE)||29.1||26.1||19.4|
|Electronics and Communication (EC)||25.0||22.5||16.6|
|Computer Science (CS)||25.00||22.50||16.60|
|Instrumentation Engineering (IN)||37.0||33.8||24.7|
|Aerospace Engineering (AE)||25||22.5||16.6|
|Petroleum Engineering (PE)||39.8||35.8||26.5|
|Geology and Geophysics (GG)||32.4||29.1||21.5|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||37.8||34||25.1|
|Architectural Engineering (AR)||43.9||39.5||29.2|
|Agricultural Engineering (AG)||25.0||22.5||16.6|